Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rethink the Syllabus

I recently read an interesting article, shared by a teacher I follow on Twitter, @Catherineku1972 (thanks, Catherine!).  This article suggested that teachers rethink the format of their syllabi...that they consider writing them in a more interesting, modern and creative format.  There are links to examples of such syllabi at the end of the article, and they are worth taking a look at!  To me, these examples looked more like pages from a magazine than traditional syllabi, and I was impressed.  I've been thinking for a few years now that I'd like to revise my syllabi, and this was the inspiration I needed. 

Here are the results.  Both of these syllabi basically contain the same information and both were created with MicroSoft Word.  I discovered that there were quite a few features in MicroSoft Word that I hadn't ever used before.
Old French I syllabus

old syllabus

 New & improved French I syllabus!

New syllabus
I concentrated on making the layout of the page more creative and on replacing text with pictures as much as possible.  I think it looks more modern and interesting now, don't you?

By the way, fellow teachers, this post is a great example of how being connected with other teachers on Twitter has helped me to improve my teaching!  I would highly recommend it to all of you:)

    

4 comments:

  1. Catherine:
    Great job! Is there any chance of seeing your work in a more reader friendly format? Thanks for sharing.
    Best,
    Carol Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour, Carol! I am the author of the syllabus shown in this post rather than Catherine, but I was inspired to rewrite my syllabus in this new format because of an article that Catherine tweeted. There are links to some fantastic examples in the article (see the link in my post)...check it out! I bet you'll be inspired, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...