Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Fun Review Game

I learned about this review game at a conference and tried it out with my students.  It's called Organized Chaos.  It would work well for any subject!  Here's what you do:

  1. Write 8 questions that cover the topic you want to review.
  2. Make 8 copies of each question (so you'll have 64 sheets of paper).
  3. Give a few sheets of paper to each student.
  4. Ask students to crumble up each individual piece of paper into a ball.
  5. Tell students to throw the balls onto the floor, in the center of the room.
  6. Ask students to get out a sheet of paper and number from 1-8.
  7. Tell students to get up and start uncrumbling paper balls.  They write the answer to the question they find on their sheet of paper.  Then they crumble up the paper into a ball again and throw it back into the center.
  8. Repeat until they've found all 8 questions and answered them all.
  9. Collect their answers or go over the correct answers as you see fit.
  10. Put the garbage can in the center of the room and tell students to grab the balls of paper and shoot baskets with them into the garbage can.

Here's a photo of high school seniors participating in this game.  I was surprised at how much they enjoyed it, and basically at how I was able to trick them into having fun when they were really just answering questions!  I was reminded that students dearly love to do things that are normally not allowed in a classroom, even if it is something as simple as throwing paper.  I was also reminded of how much they are still children, even though they are so close to adulthood.  We spent a very enjoyable 15 minutes reviewing in this way.  Why not try it yourself?

20 comments:

  1. I'm loving the idea, but not so much the use of paper....anybody got a more environmentally friendly version? (I can see myself unsquishing all the balls of paper!) I'm trying to work towards paperless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour, Lisa! What my students seemed to enjoy most about this activity was that they were allowed to do something that is normally prohibited in a classroom...and that is: throw paper! They enjoyed it so much that they almost forgot that they were really just answering review questions :). I love these types of activities. I'm not sure how one could do it without the paper...maybe you could adapt it so that students were throwing something else? Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
    2. Use ping pong balls or glue questions onto puffy balls. You could even color code so one set would be interchangeable with other subjects. Just post the numbers and questions on the board that correlate with the color.

      Delete
    3. Great idea, Diane! We have also used paper that was in the recycle bin. I used this activity today in French III, and was reminded again of how much they enjoy letting off a little steam, especially this time of the year, by being allowed to throw paper! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
    4. Use the backs of paper you were going to throw away anyway... leftover worksheets, letters that go home to parents (always extras made by the office, etc!)

      Delete
    5. Hi Renee,

      Great idea! Do you do the game as a race and have the students try to get the questions before anyone else? If so, how do you prevent the students from running into each other and getting too physical?

      Delete
    6. Bonjour! No, I do not conduct this game as a race. I tell each student that they need to find all 8 questions. The questions are numbered, so if they find a question they already have on their paper, they crumple the paper back up and throw it back. They repeat this until they've found all 8 questions. Then, they sit down and answer the questions. They are happy & excited to be moving around the room and throwing paper balls. It seems to be exciting enough for them without racing!

      Delete
    7. Reuse paper that others were going to waste? Seems like there is always extra paper around a school that would go into the recycling bin or trash. Possibly in a teacher work room or another classroom.

      Delete
    8. lissylou, thank you for taking the time to comment. Great idea, it has been mentioned by a few others in the comments.

      Delete
  2. Maybe use paper to be recycled anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea!! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to trying this in class this week. Thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adora. I hope it goes well! Thanks for stopping by my blog :).

      Delete
  4. You could also do it on half or third sheets of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour! Yes! I use a third sheet of paper, which is all that is really necessary. It has occurred to me that we could use paper from our recycle bin in our classroom as well. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. I always get recycled paper from the copier. There is always someone that did the wrong settings or something copied incorrectly. I keep it in my room these types of activities. I think my students will enjoy this game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Good luck with the game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 5th graders would love this game! Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beti, I hope you will try it...I'm sure your students would love it! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog. Wishing you a great end of the school year and a wonderful summer! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...